A Full Time Exempt Position
The Office of Strategic Planning and Budgeting (OSPB) is seeking highly motivated and talented individuals to perform analysis for the purposes of developing the Governor’s Executive Budget, contributing to strategic plans and performance measures, assisting the Governor and Executive leadership in policy development and implementation, and providing support on special projects for the Executive.
- Critically analyze state agencies’ budgets and any proposed budget changes with the goal of developing the Governor's Executive Budget
- Evaluate agencies’ program performance as compared to federal and state mandates and best practices
- Maintain revenue and expenditure projections for agencies’ funds; monitor agency cash flow
- Provide budget recommendations and options to the State Budget Director, the Governor’s Executive staff, and the Governor
- Provide oral and written presentations to explain Executive Budget issues to legislative members, committees, and the public
- Represent the Executive’s position on the budget to agencies’ leadership, stakeholders, and the public
- Coordinate with State agencies staff for budget implementation
- Provide suggestions for State agencies’ strategic plans and performance measures to support the Governor’s Executive Budget
- Coordinate with the Governor’s policy advisors and agencies to track legislative proposals
- Analyze legislative proposals for potential fiscal and operational impacts
- Serve as a resource on issues relating to federal and state laws and regulations as well as State agencies’ policies and procedures
- Identify and apply available data sources and research to conduct strategic, operational, and financial analysis on a broad range of topics
- Manage and provide support to projects initiated by OSPB leadership and the Governor’s Executive staff
- Develop and explore potential areas of work, with a focus on improving State government performance
- Advise and assist the Governor’s executive staff and agencies’ leadership on implementing major policy changes
Master’s Degree in Public Administration, Business, Economics, or related field; or, a Bachelor’s Degree in similar fields with 3-5 years’ experience in governmental budgeting, public finance, or a related area.
The ideal candidate should:
- Have strong math skills and superior critical-thinking ability
- Be highly organized, driven, persistent, analytical, and detail-oriented
- Have strong communication skills (includes writing, speaking, presentation and data visualization skills), particularly on technical matters
- Be proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and PowerPoint) and comfortable navigating new software products and applications
Salary is commensurate with experience. Additionally, there are excellent employee benefits, including 21 vacation days per year.
Interested applicants should email their resume, a cover letter, a writing sample, and graduate and undergraduate transcripts to [email protected] with the subject line, "OSPB Budget Analyst Application". Writing samples should not exceed five pages and may cover any topic. Unofficial copies of transcripts are sufficient.
You can expect to hear from OSPB to indicate whether we would like you to participate in an interview and case study (both can be done remotely).
Applications are accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis.
The Governor's Office of Strategic Planning and Budgeting is an equal employment opportunity employer.